Watch the sweet potatoes magically change color!
What You Need:
- 1 Sweet Potato
- ¼ Cup Coconut Milk
- 1 Lemon or lime wedge
- A pinch of salt
- Coconut flakes (Optional)
What To Do:
- Your child can use a vegetable brush to gently clean the potatoes and pat them dry. Talk about how this part of the plant grows under the ground.
- Boil or steam the sweet potatoes, cool until easy to handle.
- Your child can peel the cooked potatoes with his fingers, the back of a spoon or butter knife.
- Using a serrated butter knife, your child can cut the potato into bite-sized pieces and put them into a bowl, mortar or poi board.
- Mash the potatoes.
- Measure and add in the coconut milk and pinch of salt. Mash together.
- Your child can squeeze a small amount of lemon juice over the mash. Watch the sweet potatoes magically change color!
- Mix and serve as-is or topped with coconut flakes.
Adapted from: Farm to Keiki; Cooking, Gardening and Nutrition with Children
Teach your child Jan Ken Po to decide who goes first when taking turns
Use cup phones to teach your child about communication.
Preschoolers hear and play with sounds in words through singing and by playing rhyming games.
A fun activity you can do with your child that encourages following directions and hands on learning.
Make your own sock puppet.
Try this recipe after reading Plenty Saimin by Feng Feng Hutchins
Use this game to model words and turn taking
Try the following games as you model turn taking, listening, cooperating, negotiating, and conflict resolution.
During everyday activities, sing to or play simple games with your baby.